The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) provides annual funding under agreement with OSCIA to support key communication activities and on-farm applied research. In addition, OSCIA invests their own financial resources to champion related activities.
Success of the grants is achieved when strategic outcomes are realized:
- Focused activities that align with stated OSCIA research priorities, or otherwise have the strong support of multiple counties/districts or regions;
- Defendable applied research results that benefit the broader membership;
- Capture the interests of members, encourage grassroots innovation, educate and build awareness;
- Fully accountable to the funding requirements of OMAFRA;
- Wherever possible, support projects that build on unique OSCIA interests, and its role in Ontario agriculture.
New Grant Structure
2018 brought the introduction of a new grant structure. After careful review of past accomplishments, comments received from members, and consultation with Ministry representatives, the new structure will present enhanced opportunities for local and regional associations to engage with project partners in a broad array of one-year activities including education and demonstrations, and three-year in-depth investigations involving applied research.